Friday, April 27, 2012

X is for Xtra Calories

I started this A to Z Blogger's Challenge with the "A" post A is for Abs a couple of weeks ago and in it I talked about that ever-elusive six-pack.  I mentioned that I had begun doing Pilates and that I was hoping that would be that last push I'd need to finally get the abs I want.  Over the past few years I've lost significant amounts of weight and I've gotten way too complacent with my thin self as I found out last week when I got a rude awakening from one of my students.

"Mr. M, you look like you're getting fatter."

I was crushed!  My hands nervously went down to feel the excess skin that I subconsciously knew had grown ever so slightly above my waistline, and confirmed it later at home in front of the mirror.  I'm not fat, by any means, but I have definitely gained a few and I'm not happy about it.

How could this have happened?  I have noticed that my clothes have been a little tighter lately, but never really paid too much attention to it until I got that unpleasant wake-up call.  I've never stopped working hard to keep in shape, working out often and not overeating at all, except maybe during the holidays.  I was getting frustrated with the non-answers I was coming up with as to my weight gain.

During my long drive home that day I kept trying to think of how this happened.  I've been getting my workouts regularly, and they've been good ones at that.  I really haven't been eating any more than I usually eat, so why the heck have I gained weight?  Suddenly I looked down at the center console of my car and it hit me...Cafe Mocha!


Last summer I became pretty friendly with a really nice Bangladeshi woman that worked in Dunkin Donuts by my job. Rita her name was, and I remember her always suggesting I try a Cafe Mocha, which is a mixture of half-coffee, half-hot chocolate.  It's much better than their powdered "Dunkaccino" drink, which is supposed to be the same mixture, and after a few tries, Rita finally got me to try it and I was hooked!

Now I am a big coffee drinker and I have a long ride home from work, and so every day I stop at DD's for a large cup of java, which has become Cafe Mocha ever since, for the drive.  I not only drink the mix on rides home from work, but sometimes I'd get it during leisure time over the weekend, other times for writing time at home, etc., etc...  That has to be it!  How could I not have realized?

Before sitting down to pen this piece, I did a search to see how many calories were in hot chocolate and a DD's large size is a whopping 440 calories, 126 from fat.  Since my drink is mixed with coffee, it's not nearly as high as that, but still significant, of that I am sure.  I am now absolutely convinced that this is the reason for my weight gain and I have vowed this week to halt my Cafe Mocha activities effective immediately.

I dunno, I've never really thought of calories when it comes to drinks, but I realize that drinking the wrong drinks is definitely an effective way to gain unwanted poundage, for sure.  So no more Cafe Mocha's for me and hopefully I'll be svelte again in no time, lol.




1 comment:

  1. Ouch john, kids are so honest huh? And to have the extra calories come from coffee- double ouch! Love kids and coffee!

    ReplyDelete