Tuesday, April 24, 2012

U is for Umbrellas, Unibrows, Underwear and so many other Unique things...

Ugh, this was a tough one to begin with, and then it got even tougher! Today is the 21st day of the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge, the letter “U.” Usually (ha, a “U” word!), I already have something in mind, topic-wise, heading into the day, but with this one I was shooting blanks. I decided to put the word out on Facebook and now I’ve got so many “U” words to choose from, it’s hard to decide. I guess if I’d of thought of them beforehand, I would have been sure to come up with some of these:

Unusual, urban, undies, ukuleles, Uganda, Underdog, uber-anything, unbearable, unacceptable, useless, Utah, Underoos, underpants, underwear, upcycling, unique, underestimate, United States, unhinged, unimportant, unibrow, uneasy, upholstery, ugly sweaters, upscale apartments, urban development, ulcers, ushers, usage, users, Umbrella Ella Ella, under the stars, underdogs, unbelievable, useful, uninteresting, unique news of the day, unicorns, united, upbeat, underbelly of society, ulterior, urine, uptown, unnecessary, unconditional, undercover, ultimate, ulcer, unanimous, unattractive, unisex, unions, underground, uniforms, unpredictable, ursa major/minor, umpire, Uncle Tom, unchanging, unbalanced. 

Umbrella, Ella Ella...

Wow, right? Who's have realized there were so many "U" words?  Some of these are definitely workable, like Rihanna’s “Umbrella” (Ella, Ella, lol). "When the sun shines, we'll shine together..."

 


Unibrows

Another “U” word that popped out at me was one that made me chuckle: unibrow.  Oh, I think we all know what a unibrow is, don’t we?  Wikipedia describes a unibrow as a “confluence of eyebrows,” …appearing to “converge to form one long eyebrow.”  Luckily, this is not one of the unfortunate physical characteristics I was cursed with, but for those suffering from it, it is a relatively easy thing to contain with a pair of tweezers or some hot wax.  Ouch! 

When I first saw that one posted on FB, I immediately thought of the Austin Powers character that Frau Farbissina, who’d met her androgynous “Unibrow” lover at the LPGA Tour.



Ooh, and when I was looking for that picture, I found some other disturbing unibrows.  On second thought,maybe it IS that bad, lol.



Ewwwww!!!!!

Underwear

The one “U” word that came up the most times by far, in one form or another, was underwear.  Yes, underwear is something that the great majority of us come in, um, contact with every single day.  Underwear is such a vast topic in and of itself I could probably write a whole book on all of the varieties, uses and history of it.  


Underwear is sexy


Underwear is warm


And some underwear is just plain fun!


Unique

Probably my favorite “U” word of the day is unique.  One of my old pals Willie suggested this one, and added a later comment to the thread that said, “I feel we are all unique.  Right?”  That’s totally correct my friend, and unique is what makes all of us special in our own little ways.  I’ve never been a fan of the cookie cutter/bandwagon type of ideal that many of us tend to be attracted to sometimes.  I always try to do my own thing and I think that’s how we all should live our lives.

Though I’m not a believer in any specific religious doctrine, I do believe in a higher power and I do believe that each of us has been given our own little talents and idiosyncrasies that make up who we are, and who we are is beautiful. 

Another friend of mine, Diane, suggested I write about the “U” word “uplifting,” because I “always seem to be.”  I take that as a complement and a nod to my own uniqueness in the world.  I’ve long-since recognized that one of my talents is the gift of lifting people up, and I always try to approach every interaction with the desire for the other person to walk away from it with a smile or even just a good feeling, and I get to do that every day in my classroom, through my writing, on Facebook and Twitter, and just about everywhere else. 

So, embrace the things that make you unique, whether it’s in the way you dress, the way you interact with others, or the things you do in your daily life.  “Unique” and “special” are synonymous, and we should all be celebrating the things that make us, us!  Hey, another “U” word!

Special thanks to my friends Lori, Marianne, Crystal, Ted, Donald, Willie, Darlene, Lisa, Amy, Lisa, Jolie, Diane, Anna, Theresa, Lady Samantha, and my sister Ann Marie for giving me such wonderful “U” words. 



Image Sources: 









3 comments:

  1. Fun post! I don't think I've read about unibrows and underoos in the same breath in a long time! ~ Angela, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Angela-Tague-Journalist-Writer/121086417974932

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the shout-out, sweetie! My little sister used to have one of those Wonder Woman underwear sets! She's in her 30s now. Brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember when it was embarrassing to even hang our underwear on the clothesline? I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month. My alphabet is at myqualityday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete