Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for the Grove

Earlier today I was at my pal Nancy Lou’s house when I wondered aloud what topic I was going to do for the letter “G.” Almost simultaneously, he observed aloud, “Gee, it’s almost time for the Grove already.” Boom, like that, I had my topic. Thanks Nance!



“The Grove” I speak of is what many people from Long Island call Cherry Grove, a little community on Fire Island that caters to “people like us.” During the summer months, Cherry Grove is an awesome place to visit, and people come from far and wide every year to spend their vacations in a place with no cars, miles and miles of white, sandy ocean beaches, and a few fun bars and restaurants, too.

Those of us who live on Long Island and the New York City area have the luxury of taking day or evening trips to the Grove, which is but a twenty minute ferry ride from Sayville on the South Shore of Long Island. Usually my trips to Cherry Grove consist of mostly Saturday nights in the summer and always on the three major summer holidays, Memorial and Labor Days and the 4th of July. I've been going to the Grove since I was about 20 years old and I consider myself lucky to live near such a place.

I've got plenty of happy memories over at the Grove, and I’ve shared several of them right here on this blog. Some of the best times are on the holiday weekends when I go over with a whole group of friends... beautiful sunsets, great music, dancing and singing and laughing like the real world is a whole world away. It will always be a special place to me and it’s one of the reasons I love this season so much, when opening season is finally on the horizon once again. As Nancy Lou said, “it’s almost time!”

To check out some of my stories from Cherry Grove, click here.

Here are some photos from some great times spent at Cherry Grove:






















4 comments:

  1. Summer is coming! Fun photos. (Look out for errant embers on that dance floor!)

    Happy A to Z!

    All on Blogspot.com and all in the A to Z Challenge:

    Heart of a Ready Writer – Bible &Devotional
    Meme Express – Daily Blog Prompts (A to Z)
    Nickers and Ink – Featuring favorite classic poems from A to Z
    Practically at Home – See what fellow writers are cited – with article links!
    The Mane Point –Profiling special horses from A to Z
    Working in Words – Writing How-to’s

    Simply Snickers is not posting daily in the A to Z Challenge, but you are invited to comment with your A to Z/NaPoWriMo poetry links!

    Click my name/icon for links to all these blogs! Happy A-to-Z!

    ReplyDelete