Monday, February 14, 2011

February 14, 2011 - Happy Valentine's Day...Not!



Happy Valentine’s Day…Not!

This was my first Facebook post of the day today, and it’s exactly how I feel. It’s funny, but not too long ago I was hoping that this Valentine’s Day would be a good one, the first in a long, long time. It wasn’t meant to be, though. I’ve had a pretty shitty ass string of holidays since Christmas and frankly I’m glad this is the last one for awhile. Maybe I need to skip holidays for the rest of the year. What do you think? Valentines, schmalentines!!!

The Tooth Fairy?

“Hi, this is the tooth fairy calling to wish you lots of luck tomorrow night. Don’t forget to put your tooth under the pillow and I’ll come by and leave you a dollar.”




Ah, my good buddy Rich, AKA Dita. Ever since I’ve known him he’s been leaving messages on my answering machine that make me want to cry I laugh so much. This was the message he left me tonight to wish me luck tomorrow when I go to the oral surgeon to have two teeth extracted. Gotta love him!

I don’t know where the time went. When I first made the appointment last Monday, the 15th seemed so far away, but here it is, the night before and I’m just now starting to get nervous. I hate going to the dentist, especially to get a tooth pulled, so knowing me I’ll be a bundle of nerves straight through until 6:30 tomorrow night. I do want to get it over with already, though, and besides it’s better to do it now than next week when I’m on vacation from school, right? Be brave John, be brave!

Writing, writing, and more writing

Ugh, this writing thing is becoming a lot of work! Since I’ve started to get major hits on my pieces and earned all of those badges, I feel pressure to keep it up, so I’ve been working non-stop it seems for the past few days. There was a lot of pressure last night, with the Grammys and all. The piece I did on Lady GaGa’s “Born This Way” the other night has done really well and with all the hype around her last night, I figured I’d include the GaGa in a couple of more pieces.

Before the Grammys, she appeared in an interview with Anderson Cooper on 60 Minutes. I didn’t exactly know where I was headed with the piece, but I started by putting on the TiVo. Before you knew it, I had about 400 words set to paper and I came up with an angle that I thought was unique on the piece. I published it around 11:30PM and it garnered 50 hits in about a half an hour, so hopefully it did well today. I’ll find out tomorrow. In the meantime, check it out:

Lady GaGa and the “Sociology of Fame”: A 60 Minutes Interview with Anderson Cooper

Tonight my mission was to do a piece on the Grammys, but as I suspected there were literally dozens of articles out there already by the time I got home from work. I figured the best way to approach it was to include links to some of the pieces in my weekly “Pop Music News.” The 2nd edition is hot off the presses right here. Check it out!

Now I’m tired and nervous!

Thanks, as always, for reading! Catch ya tomorrow if I’m up to it…

No comments:

Post a Comment