Wednesday, February 16, 2011

February 16, 2011 - After the Extraction

As I expected, I wasn’t in a good place to post an entry yesterday. I had my appointment at the oral surgeon around 6:30 and although I had some time in between work and the extraction to write, I was too tense to think clearly. My buddy Max came by afterwards and stayed pretty late so alas I haven’t gotten to my pc until today.

All in all, the experience wasn’t that bad. I got there a half an hour early because I knew I’d be filling out all of that paperwork since it was my first time there, and I ended up sitting in the waiting room for more than an hour before they called me in anyway. Talk about nervous anticipation! The dental assistant actually told me she could tell I was a bundle of nerves by the way I was sitting in the waiting room.

Going into the appointment, I was led to believe that I was getting two teeth removed, one on either side, but once I sat in the chair, she asked me if I wanted both taken out or just one. I didn’t know I had a choice. Hmmm, less to deal with now or get the whole thing over with? It really was a no brainer though, especially when she asked me how I planned on eating anything with wounds on both sides of my mouth. I decided to go for just the one that had been giving me pain all along anyway and so now I have to go back again for the other. It’s okay though, because I’m planning on having a lot done this year and so what the heck?

The worst part of having a tooth pulled is not so much the procedure itself, but the aftermath. The feeling of gauze in your mouth and the taste of blood is just plain disgusting! Luckily I haven’t experienced too much pain from it so far, but I am hungry and I’m afraid to eat. All I’ve eaten today has been a bowl of oatmeal, which hasn’t really been too satisfying. At the moment I have a hankering for some White Castle, and my friend convinced me that that wouldn’t be too bad as long as I remove the pickles. I just may do that…

Well, that’s all for now. I stayed home today and got some articles done, and so I’m still in my sleep clothes, but I’ve got to get a move on. I’m going to try and post here again later on since I didn’t post yesterday. In the meantime, be well and thanks for reading!


  1. John, just take it easy, but you will heal quickly, just don't play with that clot on top of the extraction and don't remove it under any circumstances. Eat whatever you feel like eating but take it easy! Hang in there, my friend!!

  2. well .feel better my friend.and please don't smoke!!! u can't smoke after a extraction.hope u feel better soon.