Saturday, February 26, 2011

Song of the Day - Missing You by Diana Ross



Yesterday, Diana Ross made an appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show. It was the first time in a long time that she's been in public and of course I had to DVR it. Diana Ross was my first "diva" and she was there through those crucial times in my life when I was discovering who I was.

Back in 1980, I bought her "diana" album, which contained the then current hits "Upside Down" and "I'm Coming Out." I remember spending hours upon hours listening to it in my room. I credit the album for making me dance for the first time in my life, an activity that you all know is one of my favorite things to do to this day.

Throughout the years, thee have been many fond memories associated with Diana's music. One of my first loves, Kevin, was a huge Diana Ross fan and we shared many hours together listening to even her most obscure stuff. When I first met Joe, he and I had already had tickets to see Diana at Jones Beach a couple of weeks later, and though we didn't go together, we did get to see each other at the concert. Of course, over the years we'd see her a few times, once even with Kevin!

Alas, in recent years Ms. Ross has faded from public view and even to me she's faded into the past. Every once in awhile though, like now, she makes an appearance and I find myself once again reliving memories through her music. Since she's made such an impact on my life I'd like to pay homage to her with a "Song of the Day" nod.

Though her vast catalog of music spans five decades now, much of her greatest stuff was created before the video age and so there aren't many songs to choose from. Yes there are videos of live performances, but having been a Diana Ross fan since the late 70's, I've seen her many times and I've always been disappointed in many of those performnces because she often changes the melodies around somewhat. As I searched through the "Diana Ross" playlist in my iTunes library, I came across one of my favorites: "Missing You."

The song was recorded in 1984 for Diana's "Swept Away" album and was written by Lionel Ritchie in tribute to the recently slain Marvin Gaye. Diana and Marvin were close friends, having both started out with Motown during the 60's. They recorded a lot of music together, including one of my favorites, "You Are Everything." This one reached #10 on Billboard's Hot 100 Charts in early 1985 and is beautifully written and performed. Though the song was written or a specific purpose, I believe most anyone who's ever lost someone in their lives can relate to it. So, enjoy the beautiful and tender "Missing You," by my 1st Diva, Ms. Diana Ross:



Missing You

Since you've been away
I've been down and lonely
Since you've been away
I've been thinking of you
Trying to understand
The reason you left me
What were you going through?

I'm missing you
Tell me why the road turns
Ooh ooh
I'm missing you
Tell me why the road turns

As I look around
I see things that remind me
Just to see you smile
Made my heart fill with joy
I'll still recall
All those dreams we shared together
Where did you run to, boy?

I'm missing you
Tell me why the road turns
Ooh ooh
I'm missing you
Tell me why the road turns

Sometimes I've wondered
I didn't understand
Just where you were trying to go
Only you knew the plan
And I tried to be there
But you wouldn't let me in

But now you've gone away boy
I feel so broken hearted
I knew the day we started
That we were meant to be
If only you'd let me!
I've cried so many tears
Gotta face now all my fears
We let time slip away
I need you boy
Here today!

There was so much you gave me
To my heart
To my soul
There was so much of your dreams
That were never told
You had so much hope
For a brighter day
Why were you my flower
Plucked away

I'm missing you
Tell me why the road turns
Ooh ooh
I'm missing you
Tell me why the road turns

2 comments:

  1. you are right
    i'am living in asia and i love Diana Rose voices so much she bring me a lot of greatest memory ever in my pass life 1980's

    ReplyDelete