Thursday, February 3, 2011

Song of the Day - George Michael and "Freedom 90"

I just finished up a piece on YCN about George Michael's 1987 album "Faith" (check it out here). I had learned recently that the album was just re-released in a remastered version and I figured I'd add a review to my "Essential Albums of the 80's" series.

Admittedly I've never been a big George Michael fan for probably the most unusual of reasons, to say the least. First of all, when Wham! first came out, I think I was the only person in the world who thought that Andrew Ridgely was the cute one. Also, I met my ex right around the time this album was gaining popularity and he was just gaga over Mr. Michael. Every time we'd hear a George Michael song, I'd have to hear over and over again saying how hot he was and so I guess my jealousy turned me off to him.

Of course the "Faith" album was great. It was full of pop/dance songs that I loved to dance to in the clubs and even some of the ballads were good, though I would never have admitted it to Joe. I absolutely loved "Father Figure" and "Monkey" was always fun to dance to, but actually my all time favorite George Michael song was not from the "Faith" album at all. In fact, my favorite song of his was from his subsequent album, "Listen Without Prejudice."

The song is called "Freedom 90" and for some reason it was the video that was responsible for me liking the song. I remember it was a montage of various scenes, with some then famous models, both male and female, lip-synching to the song. The video was cool and the song infectuous, and so I will share it here. If you'd like to see any of the videos for the songs of "Faith", click on the article link above because there are video links throughout the piece. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment