Thursday, February 17, 2011

February 17, 2011 - Daily - beauty in the world: has spring sprung?



Well it’s 5PM and I want to go to sleep! After being out sick yesterday and sleeping late, I had trouble going to sleep last night and ended up getting only about 4 hours worth. So I’m tired, but I think it’s a little too late for a nappy, otherwise I’ll be in the same situation tomorrow. Besides, I stopped off for one of my DD hot chocolate/coffee combos (), and so I’ll force myself not to go to sleep.

Today was a great day! Smiles all around for beautiful weather hitting our area today! I’ve actually had the windows open in my classroom all day and now in my house because it actually feels like spring outside. Good weather and bright moods are just around the corner, I can feel it!

Frittata

This morning I became somewhat of a Home Ec teacher. My beginner ESL class has been learning kitchen verbs and I borrowed the Home Ec room to make a recipe with them so that they could act out the verbs they learned. Since it was morning, I looked for a breakfast recipe that had a lot of tasks involved and I came up with a frittata. If you don’t know what a frittata is, it’s an traditional Italian breakfast dish in which leftover ingredients are combined with eggs to make a pie-like meal. Check out the recipe for frittatas that I wrote here.

I came in this morning with all of the ingredients we would need. The kids were excited to be doing something different that they could do besides sit at a desk and take notes, and so they were raring to go. Once we got into the kitchen, however, things got a little on the crazy side. Suddenly no one remembered what their assigned task was and they weren’t following the recipe as we had written it. We made it through okay, though, and had a lot of fun doing it. One thing’s for sure after that lesson: I think I’ll stick to teaching ESL from now on!











Healing

My mouth is feeling all right, except when I have to eat. Even though I’m eating only soft things for a couple more days, I can’t seem to keep whatever I put into my mouth on the good side of my mouth. When the food goes over to the other side, I have to move it back with my tongue and I can feel the stitches…ewww! Now that grosses me out!



Having had such a good day today caused me to smile a lot, which wasn’t exactly a good thing. In the afternoon I saw a friend I hadn’t seen in a long time and when I first saw her I couldn’t help but smile big and boy did that hurt! Oh well, I guess it was to be expected. It’ll be better in no time and then I can smile all I want and eat that hamburger I’ve been craving since Tuesday.



Writer’s Block and a Plea for Ideas

Well, there’s not much more going on today. I’m battling a little bit of the writer’s block, which couldn’t have come at a worse time. With Valentine’s Day being over, my daily hits have dropped the past couple of days and the only way to get them back up is to publish. The trouble is, I don’t know what to write about!?!? I’m still pondering those music pieces and I’ve got several titles in mind. If you think any of them might be better than the others, please let me know either here, through email or on my Facebook page (see below and to the right for the link!). Here are my ideas:

(Untitled) A piece on the widespread use of the word “f**k” in music today.

The Best of Sade; The Best of Love – I love Sade and since she’s got an upcoming tour, I thought I might do a piece on her best songs.

Top Ten Foreign Language Songs – With that song, “No Speak Americano”, playing on the radio these days, I thought I’d take a look back at some other songs sung in a foreign language to hit the airwaves.

(Untitled) I’ve been thinking of doing a couple of pieces on Prince and his influence on music. After posting “When Doves Cry” as “Song of the Day” I’ve been thinking a lot about his music. There are so many great tunes in his catalog; it’d have to be a top twenty, for sure. Also, another piece would talk about his wide-reaching influence on other acts in the 80’s, including Vanity 6, The Time, Sheila E, Janet Jackson, and more…

I’ve only got to do two more pieces this month and I’d really appreciate any input you’d want to give.

Finally, in honor of this lovely day of weather, I present one of Macy Gray’s latest tunes “Beauty in the World.” Though I’ve posted it before, I just think it’s sunshiny enough to listen to on this wonderful, spring-like day. Besides, we all need the reminder to appreciate what we do have once in awhile. Enjoy the song and thanks for reading…

No comments:

Post a Comment