Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Soundtrack of a Relationship



“I’m in the corner, watching you kiss her, oh, oh ,oh…”

That’s a line from a song called “Dancing on My Own” by Swedish singer Robyn. It’s one of those songs that struck a chord with me when I first heard it back last summer and I’ve been listening to it ever since. Though it’s a dance/pop song, it’s got a rather serious theme; that of a girl who’s forced to bear witness to the budding romance between a beloved ex and his new love in a small town. The song didn’t get much airplay, so when we danced to it, I was surprised to hear him belt out that line with such feeling.

“I’m in the corner, watching you kiss her, oh, oh ,oh…”

I smiled from ear to ear. I thought I was the only one who knew that song. It was one of those first little things I’d noticed that made him seem special. Ours was a short lived relationship, too short, but as with most of the relationships I’ve had in my life, music has played a key part. I believe that every relationship has a soundtrack, and this one was no exception. As two people to whom music carries a lot of meaning, the soundtrack of our relationship is full of meaning, from start to finish.

Read on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment